Login - Become a member

Good book or tutorial

Forums home -> Texturing -> Good book or tutorial

Good book or tutorial 
By MichaelNorth on Jun 26, 2006 06:44 PM
Hello everybody, my name is Michael and I am a 3D Modelling student in Ohio. I am approaching my graduation date for an Associates, and I would like to send out a demo reel before continuing on for a Bachelor's Degree. However, one thing that my college didn't teach on a very professional level was texturing.
Now, I have taken a few Photoshop classes, and I consider myself to be pretty proficient in the program. I would also classify my modelling skills as strong (for my current level of education) but without a solid understanding of texturing, my models are lacking.
I have found a lot of premade textures on the net, but what I am really looking for is some sort of comprehensive work that TEACHES me how to make my own textures, not rely on somebody elses.
Does anybody know of any good books, or possibly instructional videos/dvds that could help provide a solid understanding? I see these amazing works all the time, and I know that with enough time and patience, I could model them - but I could NEVER get them to look as good, simply because my knowledge of textures and lighting is lacking.

Thank you all in advance for any help or info.
Michael

By chrishusein on Apr 19, 2007 03:48 AM
Michael,

The key to a really good texture is using the unwrap UWV mapping instead of just a UWV Map. There is a plugin called texporter which will unwrap the UVW's for you and allows you to export the image. From there you can bring it into Photoshop and literally paint over the mesh. Also, keep in mind to set up your lighting before you create a texture or material, this way, you don't have to worry if the lighting is going to make it look horrible later.

You can get texporter here
http://www.cuneytozdas.com/software/3dsmax/#Texporter

You can visit my site, in the future, I plan on adding some good texturing tutorials. Got any ideas?
http://chrishusein.com

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us