Login - Become a member

In-game Models

Forums home -> Modeling -> In-game Models

In-game Models 
By Paul on Jun 20, 2001 11:48 PM
I'm in a whole low poly, high poly dilemma! I got this pic from a games company site, as a representation of the specs of they're models

Is this an accurate representation of in-game models used today?
Re: In-game Models 
By diaz on Jun 21, 2001 05:24 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't really know, i mean like a few months ago i heard talking about 300 polys for a character, but new games definately have some damn high polygon numbers on their models. Think of playstastion 2's abilities and imagine what you'd expect to see.
By Paul on Jun 21, 2001 07:10 AM
Yeah, I heard Virtua Fighter 4 is using 10 million polys, granted it only renders two fighters at a time plus background, but Team Fortess 2 uses a lot (5000-6000?), close up anyway, it gets less further away. But on the other end of the scale I checked Hitman, and it's characters have arms with only 4 sides!!
Oh well, I figure around 1000 is a safe bet for my portfolio? What do you guys (n' gals) think?
By JEBoothjr on Jul 16, 2001 09:46 AM
I would have to say that those models are OK for some of todays games, especially PC, where the specs have to be a bit lower, whereas console models can be a couple of thousand polys.  However, I can see places on each of the models, where they could be more optimized.  The building could definitely be built with a lot less polygons.  High poly or low poly, I still see no sense in adding geometry if it really doesn't have to be there.  That's what good texturing is for.  I am curious as to where you got the pic from.

- James
By shogun on Jul 18, 2001 05:51 PM
Go here:
http://www.loonygames.com/content/1.1/totb/
Its a selection of articles bt Paul Steed, who used to work at ID on Quake 3. He mentions about 800 polys for a Q3 character and has some interesting tips on low poly character generation.
By Koztah3d on Jul 18, 2001 10:23 PM
Depends on the engine.
A safe bet is 800-1000 for older engines (like Half Life), and Q3 CAN handle 2000poly characters...provided you got the machine to run it.
By Paul on Jul 20, 2001 06:16 AM
This is where I got the pic from, it was from the guidlines about what you should be able to do.

http://www.innerloop.no/

Thanks for the tips guys, I figured Quake could do 1000 to 2000, but it's getting on and console games have jumped ahead for a bit again. Hmmm, the models in the PS2 version of Quake didn't look anymore detailed though, where's all that extra power going?
By Koztah3d on Jul 21, 2001 09:44 AM
Well, they just ported Quake3 to PS2, they didn't actually change much at all.

Onimusha on the PS2 has 10k poly characters!

Oh, and that Jeep has too many polys! they could do almost the same with 500.

Last modification: Koztah - 07/21/01 at 11:44:20
By Vertex on Sep 03, 2001 05:41 PM
the game i`m currently working on avrages about 1200 polys per person

there really isn`t a set standard though
it not as simple as a set number, polycount isn`t even a quater of the consideration that goes into game speed (as my lead programmer keeps telling me)for example if you have an set area say a square made up of two polygons as long as the area stays the same you can divide the polygon into hundreds or thousands without slowing down
a basic scene in our current game averages about 56,000 polys but our frame rate is 86fps
(and this isn`t anything to do with video card or cpu speed)
it`s simple cosideration of the engine to 3d relationship
By ferb on Oct 06, 2001 09:41 AM
Newer PC games use 2000-4000 polygons per character. Some ps2 games use a bit more, but not more than 5-6k. The players in FIFA 2002 are really detailed on both platforms. Outcast 2 will use about 8000 polygons per character on PC as well as on ps2.

Fighting games use a lot more, because there are only two fighters on the screen. But 10 million is impossible. Maybe 10mill poly/sec.
By ferb on Oct 06, 2001 10:11 AM
"Onimusha on the PS2 has 10k poly characters!"

Yeah, but Onimusha has pre-rendered backgrounds.
By penisenlargement on Sep 26, 2010 05:15 AM
What a great idea!! i'ld like to know more how many people you met on 1st sept, i'm quite late to see this blog.
Mr. president doing great with HEALTH issues, just few day's before FDA release new rules of packed food products to display all the details of energy and this are issued with taking public opinions from allover country.

Very good! penis enlargement pills Nice information this is really interesting - vimax and vigrx plus - Good luck in building the table.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us