Login - Become a member

Is nurbs dead?

Forums home -> Modeling -> Is nurbs dead?

Is nurbs dead? 
By SeanW on Nov 21, 2000 11:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone likes to model using nurbs? Does anyone feel that its a waste of time?  I've grown quite fond of sub-d and patch modeling and find that it achieves that smooth look just as well.  I realize everyone has their preferences but I just cant get the control I want with nurbs.
Re: Is nurbs dead? 
By Nate on Nov 22, 2000 07:00 AM
Never used them much myself, but then again I'm a terrible modeler who's never been able to create a decent human face :)

A friend from my hometown uses only nurbs to model organic things like that, and he could do a fairly convincing human head in 30 minutes (I timed him). I wish I knew what he did about modeling, I would be a much better artist that way.

Anyway, as for 3dsmax, NURBS aren't used nearly as much as they get used in SI or Maya. For animation they work a bit better I believe, but they're not completely needed. I've seen a damn well modeled AudiTT by Sergio Caires that was made completely with polygon modeilng in Lighwave5.6 ...completely accurate, and not a very high polygon count either.
By on Nov 23, 2000 03:28 AM
To my opinion, Max NURBS are extremely slow when you apply an UV-map on it. Youre better of modeling it with SubD's or SplinePatches.
By on Nov 23, 2000 07:58 AM
U┤re right Sean!
With nurbs modelling I could never ever gain so much control over what I was modelling as I did with polymodelling/meshsmooth or splines.
My favourite technique at the moment is polymodelling and meshsmoothing afterwards!
The only thing you┤ve got to consider if you work with this technique is how close/far you┤ll view your model in the finished render, because the closer you get to a polymodel the more cornered it will appear if your polycount┤s too low. But as for me a few corners are not too devastating as long as the ligthts the texture and above all the subject of the picture are right.
Regards
BeAr
By ambient-whisper on Nov 23, 2000 04:42 PM
pixar is converting to subd modelling from nurbs...jeremy from 3drender said hes fed up with nurbs(at least someone on the mirai forum said...)...
nurbs isnt dead...but...its a pain..
By on Nov 25, 2000 05:55 PM
*lol*
They should put this saying in the "Book of Wisdom":)))))))))
By Mr.Bad on Nov 27, 2000 01:09 PM
I used to model with NURBS ONLY.  Of course, I ALSO used to own a mac.  I would say that in the last few months Ive really grown to love poly's.  Theres so many different tricks with both modeling and setting up the bones that make it way easier.  
By Baby_Face on Dec 05, 2000 01:07 PM
Im a final year student in computer animation at bournemouth university in the UK.  Ive been using Maya for a year and a half, now using maya 3.0.  Im interested in getting into games so ive mostly been using polys in the past.  In my current projects i am now using nurbs and polys to model spaceships.  Polys r perfect for the more angular craft but i can model a large sleak organic ship in a very short time with nurbs, much quicker than with polys. I think NURBS r perfect for that type of thing.
By ambient-whisper on Dec 05, 2000 05:28 PM
both are good....just depends the way the program your using gives you acess to the tools...
i would never imagine using subd in maya..but in mirai its as easy as 123
By Airflow on Apr 10, 2001 05:17 AM
Nurbs is on its final legs, Id love to see that model of a face that was done in 30 minuites, Cos it wouldent have a single defined edge on it, Overcomplicated useless unless You work in the car industry or visulization. Good riddance...;D
By ZombieCzar on Apr 11, 2001 01:29 PM
I believe it's what you intend to do with it..

If it's high res, organic, ie charecters or animals, what not, for animation, nurbs will handle the skin without the polygones becoming a problem.. and deppending on the renderer.. so many things..

However for any of us , I would say NURBS are a waste of resorces.. and in MAX , they aren't exactly.. effecient.
By hcharry on Apr 28, 2001 11:59 PM
I think MAX nurbs are great for what I use them for. Some things I use nurbs for, most though, I use polys. I guess it depends on what you're making really.
By Moriarty on May 02, 2001 03:53 PM
Personally I'd rather bevel by hand.
I never got the hang of nurbs.  and many different programs handle nurbs differently.
By Wiro on May 03, 2001 02:25 PM
NURBS are still the most accurate tools you can use to model something so they are definatly not dead. Subdivs are great for organics but try to bool out complex forms or aligning objects evenly spaced onto another surface in excact height, independant on the host surface's resolution. Or snap an objects endpoint to the center of a bevel.
That's all really easy with NURBS which is why I personally love to model mechanical stuff with them in Rhino. When finished I convert the models to meshes and export as 3ds to Max.

Organics are best done in subdivs or maybe surface patches though (imho).

Since Pixar relies heavely on character animation I can understand why they move over to subdivs but I wouldn't be surprised if they still use NURBS too.
As far as I know, the automobile industry use NURBS for their models.

Wiro
By Mr.Bad on May 05, 2001 05:06 AM
I kind of bashed nurbs a while back on this post.
I learned quickly that there were still advantages in nurbs modeling and animating. Nurbs have saved the day on various projects. áI guess your always better off with the more you know.

Last modification: Dave Chiapperino - 05/05/01 at 07:06:55
By Cube on May 28, 2001 06:04 AM
hi, i'm a new student in 3D, but that's what i want to do, i just did a 60 cours in 3D max 3.1, and i'm doing a private cours at home. I asked  myself the same question so i ask my teacher.And he said that for the result but in less time he could do a better job with polymodelling/meshsmooth.Or For more detail Surface tool in 3D Max. But my opinion is: it's your choice, i don't think one is better than the other, just how much you are good at it, so try it and see!!
By Cube on May 28, 2001 06:07 AM
I asked myself the same question , so i asked my teacher, and he said that for the same result he could do the job in less time with polymodelling/meshsmooth, or for more detail Surface tool.
But my opinion is that theres no magic method, you choose the one you like, or you take the one that somebody teach you, and you specialize in it.But hey it's just an opinion.
By Airflow on Jun 11, 2001 01:24 AM
Had a little play in rhino3d, and found that nurbs are quickly infectous.... still use sub D tho...;D
By DavidZachar on Jul 19, 2001 03:49 PM
Nurbs are the best and accurate tools for modelling yet designed(together with surfacetools).
People nag about nurbs because they just don't understand them.
I use nurbs pretty often, sure i do have some problems here and there, but these aren't any worse than problems with boxmodelling or surface tools.
I agree on there being not much info on nurbs on the net, but read and learn of what there is and then experiment.
Once you fully understand how they work you wouldn't want it any other way, why you think all the great stuff in movies and game animations is modeled with NURBS?
Because it's the best thing, max nurbs being sucky is a fairy tale, if they are so sucky then why do all those movies and game animations look so good?
I'm not pro nurbs or anything, i just use all modelling techniques in a mix, i just look what i'm about to model and pick my technique, and nurbs just fit perfectly in this mix.
Just give it a try, it might just open a whole new world;)
By Koztah3d on Jul 21, 2001 09:51 AM
Well, as a traditional 2d artist, when I started learning 3d, I found Nurbs to be too abstract and boring..y'know, like doing algebra.
Surface tools give you much more precision..at the cost of time.
By Vladius on Aug 05, 2001 05:07 AM
yes
By grasshopper on Aug 19, 2001 05:57 PM
i have used all forms of modelling in max and i have found Nurbs to be the least efficent as it's clumsy and makes your model and file size way too heavy. It also seems to to be very unstable so in regards to your question yes it is dead, well at least in Max.
By penisenlargement on Sep 26, 2010 05:15 AM
What a great idea!! i'ld like to know more how many people you met on 1st sept, i'm quite late to see this blog.
Mr. president doing great with HEALTH issues, just few day's before FDA release new rules of packed food products to display all the details of energy and this are issued with taking public opinions from allover country.

Very good! penis enlargement pills Nice information this is really interesting - vimax and vigrx plus - Good luck in building the table.

Page 1 of 1 Go to page: 1
Subscribe to RSS
Follow us on Twitter

Copyright © 1996-2010 Raphael Benedet - Contact Us